Miyerkules, Enero 9, 2013

Memories of Christmas


When I was a kid, my friends and I used to knock on gates in our village every night during Christmas and sing our hearts out. i remember looking for small cans, rubber bands and a small piece of plastic just so I can make a small musical instrument. Singing to the beat of our makeshift drums and maracas made of flattened bottle caps, I could only sing a few words -- "Pasko na naman, O kay tulin ng araw..Paskong nagdaan lalala lalalala!..."

The lanterns hung on every house back then seemed so big and colorful. It gave us all excited feelings whenever someone came out and gave us money. Every night, if we were lucky enough, each of us got a least P1.75. I remember feeling so rich having that MUCH money in my pocket. I would march to Aling Lorna's tindahan and buy candies which only cost .25 cents at the time. While the older kids were busy making pa-cute, little me and my friends laughed our bladders out while singing... and running if the dogs barked!

I wish my kids could experience what I was able to do when I was their age. It's not much but the beautiful memory stays with you. Like the Harana, ang karoling sa Pilipinas ay isang tradisyon na napaka-ganda at masarap sa pakiramdam -- lalo na kapag mga bata ang kumakanta.

We really have to thank the Lord for giving us this one month every year to be simply happy and blessed no matter how easy or tough life can be.

Again and again, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas! Sa Filipino, MALIGAYANG PASKO! God bless you all. :)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento