Sabado, Hulyo 27, 2013

My parents sent me to an exclusive school when I was young. It was and still IS one of the best. I spent 13 long years in St. Paul Pasig and not once did I feel that my parents didn’t provide what I needed. When I was in High School, my mom would give me P100 for my daily allowance. That was the time when the Pop Swatch was a must and knitted socks from Marks and Spencer was considered highly fashionable. I graduated a happy 17-year-old kid but I was completely unaware of what life really was outside that comfort zone.

Today, despite feeling unwell, is laundry day until I read this article on the front page of the Philippine Daily Inquirer. I just had to drop everything, grab the Mac and share this online. It was just a short article but it was worth every second of my time. The story of this boy is so touching that it made me realize everything I had when I was his age and everything he doesn’t have compared to privileged kids today. His name is Charls Bryan Katipunan – son of a taxi driver. I’m guessing a P50-Mc Savers meal is already considered a ‘once in a blue moon’ treat for someone like him. On his graduation day, he delivered his speech and told his story with much pride and not out of self-pity. He said his piece with hope that he could give a positive example for those aspiring to finish their studies. He experienced the hardships and he graduated TOP OF HIS CLASS.

Charls is an example of how tough the Filipino spirit is. He didn’t have the ‘luho’ I had while growing up but he lived up to his name -- Katipunan – one who dared to rebel against the prevailing situation and work for something only the toughest of the tough can achieve. It gives you a feeling of pride to read about Filipinos who stood the test and won. It also makes you wonder how many more could be like him IF ONLY they could go to school.

Call me a dreamer but I sincerely hope the Philippines would produce more like him through EXCELLENT and FREE education. Countless times we hear people in government promising food on the table of every Filipino family. What the poor Juan Dela Cruz does not realize is he’s just like a burdened mule feeding on straw from the hands of his master. If you provide housing and funds for business, you’ll just have the Filipino depend on what government can give. PROVIDE EDUCATION and you give the Filipino the power to be self-sufficient.

Charls’ story is worth sharing. The story of a simple boy who struggled can spark much awareness in a society that is lukewarm to this basic need of underprivileged Filipino children.

-- It is not enough that we feed the hungry stomachs of our children. It is also our responsibility to feed their minds.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento